Friday, January 27, 2012

Hidden Sweets

So where have you found your Hidden Sweets in North Carolina???


Erin Y. of Raleigh writes...

I must admit that when the call went on Facebook for a willing participant to write a review about a dessert or dessert restaurant, I got more than a little excited.  How best to combine my two secret loves of writing and eating?!?!  And after a very hectic month of eating lunches at my desk, this was a great excuse to take a field trip for lunch with a few co-workers. 

I had heard about PieBird through the grapevine.  It's a restaurant that serves ONLY pie!  Savory pies, sweet pies, pies of all sizes and descriptions!  I love the idea of everything about a place that sells only slices of happiness.  Who doesn't love pie?  Could such a magical, wonderful place really exist, I wondered?  Well, it absolutely does!  In the historic Oakwood section of Raleigh, PieBird sits discreetly nestled in a short strip of shops.  Everything about the restaurant is adorable.  And, the pies are delicious!! 

A few friends and I had lunch there on Wednesday.  The lunch was delicious; but, I could not forget my assignment -- EAT DESSERT!  I understand that the the pie menu changes regularly.  However, the delectable choices for Wednesday included cherry pie, key lime pie, chocolate cream pie (excuse me while I wipe my watering mouth . . .), honey and sea salt(?) pie, blueberry pie, coconut cream pie, and maybe more that I just can't recall. 
  
With only a little hesitation, I selected the Key Lime Pie.  My friends chose cherry and chocolate cream so that I could taste more pies.  They were all absolutely DELICIOUS.  The Key Lime Pie had that precise mix of tart and sweet; the (graham cracker crust was perfect, and the cream was divine.  I savored every sweet, delectable bite.  I also had a bite of cherry pie which was also wonderful.  The pie was not too sweet and the crust was perfectly flaky and golden.  PieBird also takes pride in the pie's presentation.  Check out the cute chocolate cream "face"!!   My friend described the chocolate pie as the best she has ever eaten.  She is quite an accomplished traveler and foodie so that is quite  the compliment. 

If you have the opportunity to visit Raleigh, please visit the original PieBird.  You can check them out at www.piebirdraleigh.com. 


***

Email me at TheSweetLocator@gmail.com if you'd like to share your Hidden Sweets of North Carolina...

No comments:

Post a Comment